Openstack Neutron is the networking service. It is similar to AWS VPC or Azure VNET.
- Manual and automatic management of networks and IP addresses.
- Distinct networking models for different applications and user groups.
- Flat networks (VLAN’s) for separating servers and traffic.
- Supports both Static IP addresses and DHCP.
- Floating IP addresses for dynamic rerouting to resources on the network.
- Software-defined networking (SDN), OpenFlow, for multi-tenancy and scalability.
- Management of intrusion detection systems (IDS), load balancing, firewalls, VPN’s, etc.
Glance is image service of OpenStack. It’s similar to AWS AMI and Azure VM Images.
- OpenStack Image Service for discovery, registration, and delivery of services for disk and server images
- Template-building from stored images
- Storage and cataloging of unlimited backups
- REST interface for querying disk image information
- Streaming of images to servers
- VMware integration, with vMotion Dynamic Resource Scheduling (DRS) and live migration of running virtual machines
- All OpenStack OS images built on virtual machines
- Maintenance of image metadata
- Creation, deletion, sharing, and duplification of images
Openstack Nova is the equivalent of AWS EC2 instances or Azure VMs.
- It’s an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) offering.
- Provides management and automation of pools of Virtual Machines
- Bare metal and high-performance computing (HPC) configurations
- It supports KVM, VMware, and Xen hypervisor virtualization
- Hyper-V and LXC containerization
- Python-based with various external libraries: Eventlet for concurrent programming, Kombu for AMQP communication, SQLAlchemy for database access, etc.
- Designed to scale horizontally on standard hardware with no proprietary hardware or software requirements
- Inter operable with legacy systems
Red Hat Certified System Administrator in Red Hat OpenStack exam tests the Openstack management skills of candidate. Before you start preparing for this exam you should understand basic Linux. Redhat recommends skills of at least the level of RHCSA-RHEL. And this level is important as it’s a lab exam and you have to answer the questions by doing them practically.
If you are a newbie on linux and want to quickly master linux you can check Learn Linux course on Udemy.
Here I am listing few Linux commands and topics which you should know before sitting for the Redhat Openstack exam.
- Comfortable with vi/vim editor. You should know how to edit a file because you will have to edit the configuration file for starting the openstack installation.
- Know how to navigate in linux and view files using commands like cd , ls, more, cat etc.
- You can use commands like cp, mv to copy and move or rename a file.
- Should understand how a repository is created in linux. The repo file is generally saved in /etc/yum.repos.d .
- Know how to update the patches in linux using YUM or rpm tools.
- Understand basic networking using commands like “ifconfig -a” and “ip addr” . Network configuration files are generally stored in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory. Check how to configure IP.
- Check the files where the server names are saved like /etc/hosts .
- Understand how the LVM(Logical Volume Manager) works in Linux. For details refer free LVM crash course .
- How to start/stop and enable/disable services in linux.
- How to sftp and ssh to and from the openstack server.
If you are comfortable up to the above mentioned level of Linux. You can start checking the different components of openstack. Below is listing of few components for which questions will be asked in exam.
- Compute (Nova)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Block storage (Cinder)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Image (Glance)
- Object storage (Swift)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Orchestration (Heat)
In exam, you can do installation in two ways. Either you install each component manually or use packstack package/tool to do the installation. If you are new to openstack I recommend using packstack. For packstack installation you will generate a file and modify it as per the requirement mentioned in exam questions. Once the file is ready give it as input to packstack. Packstack will do all the installations for you.
Once the installation is done you can use CLI or GUI for doing further questions in exam. If you are new to Openstack, GUI is best option. It is good and gives you a graphical overview of what you are doing.
Some of the questions you can expect in exam post installation are:-
- Create Public and Private subnets
- Create Users and Projects
- Launch instance
- Create Volumes
- Attach volumes to instance.
Tip: The exercises given at the end of Openstack EX210 official training book are good test for your skills. If you can do those exercises successfully without taking any help, you will be easily able to clear the exam.
Be Sociable. Share It. Happy Learning!
Most of the services provided by different cloud providers are same as what you do in on-premises setup, they just have a different name in cloud. Below is comparison of major services offered by different cloud providers and what they mean in simple laymen terms. Hope this is helpful to you.
Continue reading “AWS VS AZURE VS OPENSTACK”