Openstack Neutron is the networking service. It is similar to AWS VPC or Azure VNET.
- Manual and automatic management of networks and IP addresses.
- Distinct networking models for different applications and user groups.
- Flat networks (VLAN’s) for separating servers and traffic.
- Supports both Static IP addresses and DHCP.
- Floating IP addresses for dynamic rerouting to resources on the network.
- Software-defined networking (SDN), OpenFlow, for multi-tenancy and scalability.
- Management of intrusion detection systems (IDS), load balancing, firewalls, VPN’s, etc.
Glance is image service of OpenStack. It’s similar to AWS AMI and Azure VM Images.
- OpenStack Image Service for discovery, registration, and delivery of services for disk and server images
- Template-building from stored images
- Storage and cataloging of unlimited backups
- REST interface for querying disk image information
- Streaming of images to servers
- VMware integration, with vMotion Dynamic Resource Scheduling (DRS) and live migration of running virtual machines
- All OpenStack OS images built on virtual machines
- Maintenance of image metadata
- Creation, deletion, sharing, and duplification of images
Openstack Nova is the equivalent of AWS EC2 instances or Azure VMs.
- It’s an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) offering.
- Provides management and automation of pools of Virtual Machines
- Bare metal and high-performance computing (HPC) configurations
- It supports KVM, VMware, and Xen hypervisor virtualization
- Hyper-V and LXC containerization
- Python-based with various external libraries: Eventlet for concurrent programming, Kombu for AMQP communication, SQLAlchemy for database access, etc.
- Designed to scale horizontally on standard hardware with no proprietary hardware or software requirements
- Inter operable with legacy systems